Sunday, July 09, 2006

Mother-daughter separation

My journey: It's happened. My daughter has outgrown me. We are well on the way to mother-separation. My old blog template is back and she has moved on to bigger and better things in the blogosphere and beyond. Our days of playing around with my blog template together were fun while they lasted but all good things come to an end.

What I'm reading: A Woman in Berlin, the anonymous journal of a German woman in the last days of the second world war in Berlin and immediately after. It could have been my mother's diary. Reading this book helped me connect again with my beloved mother, whom I've missed every single day since she left. That's how it goes with mothers and daughters long beyond the grave. We're tied invisibly, painfully. We fight, we separate and then we find new ways of reconnecting long after we think it's no longer possible. We can still find that reconnection in a transcendent place somewhere inside us.
A Woman in Berlin is a must-read for all women. It raises the question in relation to mass wartime rape. Is it better as a woman to suffer indiscriminant gang-raping or to become a whore with a small degree of control over how it happens? Read the book and see how one woman handled it.
A Woman in Berlin book review

My day job: Mark 5 of my Analysis Chapter is well under way. My supervisor read Mark 4 "with pleasure". We've reconnected and it feels good. Only three months to go to the final submission of my dissertation for assessment. I can hardly believe I've come this far.

Motto: Women share more secrets with each other than men will ever know.

6 Comments:

At 11:22 am, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Aaawwww, Madi, I am sorry to hear that things are weird with you ant "T". She'll be back, it's just a phase, we all went through them at that age. It may take time, but it will happen. I feel for you, though ... it must be really sad. "T"s a good girl, though, and will come around again. Mothers are always there, and children know that.
A Woman in Berlin sounds great ... I think I have had it in my hand before, but put it back. I find it fascinating reading about this era, and the people, and the hardships they had to go through. Something we will hopefully never know in our realities.
Sounds like you are going top-gun with the writing ... congratulations. It must be nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel !!
Looking forward to catching up on Friday at German School.
Take care, Meow

 
At 6:12 pm, Blogger Michelle said...

I like that motto :o)

 
At 10:21 pm, Blogger Justine said...

I second what Meow and Michelle said.

Oh, I noticed that the MSO are doing Die Erste Walpurgisnacht soon...

 
At 11:48 am, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi Madi ... just checking in !!
Hope you come back to us again soon.
Hope you are well.
Take care, Meow

 
At 10:29 pm, Blogger Justine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:26 am, Blogger Justine said...

Hi Madi,

It will probably be a while until you see this comment. I just wanted to let you know I have started a masters degree, and your mission statements and the things you learnt about yourself as you went - I have been keeping them in my head.

What about your story collection? Or shouldn't I ask :-)

Coping strategies and advice for the stranger and the foreigner heartily welcomed. My email is available from Michelle (Justitia) I gets lots of junk mail and your message will go to the junk, so you have to make the subject line obvious, and send probablly more than one. Until I see it there in among the rubbish!
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home