Friday, April 21, 2006

Perfectly good material

My day job: The data analysis of my 67 interviews is telling a great story of immigrants and their offspring. The 80-and-90-year-olds paint a rich picture of postwar immigrants. Their dilemma was deciding what bits of their culture and language to actually give up so their children could fit in – a story of lost hopes and dreams. The 60-and-70-year-olds have a slightly different perspective and still fit into both the old and the new worlds – true intercultural beings. Their dilemma was pretending that they had given up the old world and keeping up that facade. The 40-and-50-year-olds have taken on the burden of the first generation and were left with the pain of an incomplete sense of self, with damaged intercultural skills. Some revived these, other couldn’t but never felt quite whole.

What I’m reading: Zits cartoons by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman. I love their character 15 year old Jeremy.
Have a look
Zits comics

What Jeremy said: (to his dad who was just going to tell something funny that happened in the office) Dad! Stop! I just hate to see a person waste perfectly good blog material by describing his life experiences out loud.

3 Comments:

At 6:21 pm, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I had a good look at the Zits comics ... they are very good. I had never heard of it, thanks for sharing.
Take care, Meow

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger . said...

meow Zits is in The Age every weekday.

 
At 9:49 pm, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Ooops, I don't read the Age ... I'm a Herald Sun girl !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home