Saturday, February 25, 2006

Telling a story

Entrapment: My supervisor said I’m running out of time. I feel I need more time. She and I are trapped in my writing chaos, my broken thesis. Only she and I can free each other from this snare.

My Motto: “If not now, When? If not us: Who?” (J.F. Kennedy’s call for national action.)

What my supervisor said about my Methodology Chapter: “It’s really there” and then she sent me a hundred edits. Did she mean ‘it’s nearly there’? There’s a big difference between ‘really’ and ‘nearly’. The former means it’s OK; the latter suggests I can’t quite make it, I haven’t made it, I never will make it. Self-doubt looms again. Fear of rejection.

What my supervisor said about my Literature Review Chapter:
I won’t read it if you keep making changes.

What my crying inner child said:
Rejection. There it is. I always knew it was coming.

What my supervisor said about my Analysis Chapter:
It’s coming along well. You should think about ‘telling a story’ and use lots of comments from ‘the research participants.’

What my research participants said in my imagination: Beware of what you write about us. We will reject you…We will cast you out of The Community.

What my inner psyche said: Fear the rejection of The Community. It happened to me once before…a long time ago…Fear the rejection of my supervisor... it may be looming in the near future.

What my startled inner child remembered: My father cruelly rejected me when I was too young to cope with the pain. He was a prominent member of The Community. My brain has been permanently scarred. If I pre-emptively sabotage my thesis work and make The Community reject me now, then the pain of opening that wound won’t be as bad as it would if it happens when I’m off guard.

What I’m listening to right now: I am soothed by Nigel Kennedy, loutish violin virtuoso playing Inner Thoughts. His violin talks of sadness eclipsed with soothing moments of serenity.

What I’ll do next: Feel the fear of rejection and do it anyway. I’ll tell the story and send it to my supervisor.

7 Comments:

At 2:46 pm, Blogger Michelle said...

Your father rejected you? Hmmmm, we need to talk!

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger . said...

I was 7. R was only 4. Papa was wonderful, playful and loving. Then he got terminal cancer. He thought we children would cope better if he rejected us, and made out he didn't love us any more. He became mean and angry. He would send us away from him if we came close. The sudden mood-swings and rejection were too painful for a child. It scarred my brain forever.
Now, after my experience as the parent of a cancer surviver I think he did it to protect his own emotional pain rather than ours. Selfish male chauvenist.
I had a life-time of healing to do after he died (when I was 7). I think I'm nearly there. ;-)

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, this really has left me rather emotional :(

 
At 11:25 am, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oh Madi, sounds like you did it tough as a child. Glad to hear that you are "nearly there". Hope all is going well, otherwise. Take care, Meow
PS. Glad to have you back !!

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger . said...

m & m thanks. Don't worry all is well.

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hey Madi ... thanks for coming by this a.m. Why don't you pinch and punch people via email, as you won't be seeing them in person till this p.m. ... just something silly to do, really !!!! Originally I was going to visit everyone's blogs and post pinch/punch via comments ... but it would've taken all day ... and been kinda silly, too !!! It's all in good fun, anyway.
Hope your day goes well. See you Friday night.
Take care, Meow

 
At 9:56 pm, Blogger Justine said...

such a powerful woman. This is really transcendant stuff, Madi. I'm such a chicken shit right now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home