Friday, May 12, 2006

Tips to keep the researcher in line

How I keep my story readable: I imagine reading my chapter to the people I interviewed. If I can say those things with comfort and ease to them, then it’s O.K.

Keeping the right tone: I do some member-checking. I keep showing the people I interviewed samples of my work and listen to their reactions. I ask How does that sit with you? Their responses make me change what I’ve written every time.

Keeping it credible: I use lots of triangulation. That means I use different points of view to show the same results like what they said, what I saw, what I read, what they wrote, what they did.

Keeping it plausible: I describe what just one person said, then what a sub-group said, then what most of the people said. That makes the trends I find sound more real.

Latest aha experience: I worked out how to use the ‘memo function’ in my Ethnograph software. It really speeds up the process of noting regular insights for my chapter draft whilst I‘m still coding data. I tried so hard to learn that function before from the manual but there’s something about IT that prevents the brain from learning to do something on the computer until you really need it.

What I’m listening to right now: Butterfly Lovers, a violin concerto that tells an amazing story of two people, a bit like the Romeo and Juliet tale. The story-telling music coordinates well with my current research activity.
all about The Butterfly Lovers

What I’m drinking: Ahmad tea brewed in my favourite stoneware teapot with real tea leaves. There's nothing better than a bit of authenticity to keep me in the right mood.

My deepest regret: My daughter wants me to help her with her Maths Project on probabilities. I haven’t had time all week and it’s due soon. I wonder what’s the probability of finding time to do it with her?

2 Comments:

At 11:49 pm, Blogger Justine said...

Madi, I'm really learning a lot from the way you write about how you are learning from the process.

It has been a couple of years for me since I did my honours thesis. I learnt so little doing it. I was so stressed and stubborn, I couldn't absorb anything. Wouldn't.

But a few years on, and I can appreciate how researchers have to bend and change, how it isn't just something they were born doing.

Well done! Something for me to aspire to.

 
At 9:02 pm, Blogger . said...

Justine, all of us have to find the right to be open to new learning. I read you comment onmy previous post. I'll complete my thesis later this year. Maybe I'll publish a few snippets here whne I'm ready.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home