Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Success story

My success story: I've submitted the 3rd draft of my literature review. I'm not proud of it, I'm pleased with it. I like the themes. My sentences are short and crisp. It's 12,200 words and has...wait for it...an up-to-date bibliography full of articles written in the last 5 years.

What took me so long: ‘Supermarket paralysis’ - I thought I had to read every word on every cereal packet to decide what to say. I was drowning in detail.

What helped me: I developed an aeroplane view and started to use broad brush strokes.

What I want to do next: Go to the movies. I don't want to see deep and meaningful movies about suffering in Kurdistan or Africa. I just want to see some trivial glammed up American absurdistan.

What I'm really going to do next: Code my interview transcripts for the next 200 hours.

What my supervisor wants: A draft of my analysis chapter within 2 weeks. My first reaction was 'that's impossible'. My runner-up reaction was anger and fury that she's pushing me so much so I thought 'I'll show her! I'll do it!.'

My day job: Coding this week. Writing a draft for my next chapter on Analysis next week.

Forget the movies.

7 Comments:

At 11:54 pm, Blogger Justine said...

Hooray for you! Sounds like you've been going hammer and tongs Madi.
Supermarket paralysis - good one! Absurdistan LOL

I love these progress reports you give us Madi! The progress reports they have at the supermarkets (ie magazine covers) are so aimless and dumb. I wish I could buy my Jalna here :-)

 
At 6:48 am, Blogger Michelle said...

Jalna? Justine that yoghurt sucks LOL! They have such boring flavors.
Excellent, now you will be able to participate in NANOWRIMO!

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger . said...

Justine and Michelle nice to hear from you both. Jalna is good stuff - good touchy-feelies for the insides.
As for NaNoWriMo I think the three of us qualify very well - but how to fit it in?

 
At 5:42 pm, Blogger Justine said...

NaNoWriMo - what's that?

Michelle everybody loves Jalna. Even you. How could you not with their SUBTLE flavours :-)

 
At 7:10 pm, Blogger . said...

Justine you can look it up at www.nanowrimo.org
It is the NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth of November. You sign up in Oct and from Nov 1-30th you have to write a 50,000word story. You can win and get published or get on the honour roll.
I wanted to do it but I'll still be coding. Maybe next year.
You could use your car trip blog as the first installment.
Michelle, you'll have no trouble making the word limit and will probably win :-)

 
At 6:50 am, Blogger Michelle said...

What are you trying to say Madi...I talk BS LOL!!!!

 
At 9:20 am, Blogger . said...

Michelle you're good you :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home