Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Musings on my thesis writing

I want to improve the academic quality of my Literature Review chapter. I need to change the quality of my thesis and make a transition from good writing to a sophisticated product.

My subconsious urges are much stronger than my conscious mind.
I feel great when I know I have:
  • collected lots of research sources
  • made appropriate sub-headings
  • organised my lit review
  • evaluated the resources
  • established links within the body of my review
  • used clear and insightful writing
But then my confidence ebbs away and I am gripped by a suphocating anxiety and I can't breathe because my greatest fears begin to emerge and my writing is reduced to nothing.
I worry that
  • I don't know the seminal and landmark studies for assimilation and (integration then) multiculturalism; for cultural identity formation and for adaptation strategies for immigrants.
  • I am studying as an external student, in isolation from peers, mentors and with no real regular contact with other academics and library resources.
My conscious mind tells me to get back to my thesis writing but I can't. I know what I need to do. I must seduce my subconscious. Seduction is based on pleasure and flattery so I must seduce my inner self to believe that I am really good at what I do.
My lit review is not even adequate. I need to work on transitions and build up my bibliography.
I am a writer. I can do and I will enjoy doing it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home